International Women in Engineering Day takes place on 23 June annually. This day focuses attention on the amazing careers in engineering and technical roles for girls, and allows us to celebrate the achievements of our outstanding women engineers.
INWED Twibbon - sign up now!
INWED now has a Twibbon. Show your support by adding the Twibbon to your Twitter account. Sign up for the Twibbon at http://twibbon.com/support/inwed17
A huge thank you to everyone who participated in National Women in Engineering Day 2016. The day was another amazing success and we were extremely pleased to see so many organisations and individuals involved whatever their size and reach. If you put on an event or participated in one, please do tell us about it by emailing email@example.com. We'd love to share your good news and successes however big or small. Thank you again for your enthusiasm and commitment - why not start thinking about what you can do for INTERNATIONAL WOMEN IN ENGINEERING DAY #INWED17 now!
Below are some of the highlights from NWED 2016:
- UNESCO patronage endorses the event worldwide
- 14 Official Sponsors partnered with us on the day
- An inaugural list of the Top 50 Women in Engineering was published in The Daily Telegraph (see photo above)
- Over 550 separate events held on the day
- Over 200 events held by companies and organisations
- Over 350 school events held across the UK
- 1500 downloads of the Resource Pack from the NWED website
- Over 400 resource packs sent out by post (thanks to the IET for sponsoring the postage of these)
- Over 100 requests for additional classroom resources to support school outreach work
- Reached over 1 million people on social media via a Thunderclap campaign on twitter
- The official hashtag #nwed2016 receiving over 15,000 posts on the day, which saw the hashtag trending for around 8 hours on Twitter, second only to EU referendum related posts
- On the day, the hashtag #nwed2016 received 1,550,728 impressions and #raisingprofiles received 109,325 impressions
- Our official website www.nwed.org.uk received nearly 42.000 unique visitors and over 35,000 page views on the day
- The official T-shirt store sold 324 T shirts
- The total number of plays of the NWED Pushing Boundaries video reached over 500 plays, and was seen by many times this number of students as it was shown in schools
- National Women in Engineering Day was reported in over 150 national and local newspapers and online articles in the UK and internationally
- BBC and Sky News covered the day in their evening news slots, and BBC Woman’s Hour also featured women in engineering, along with a number of radio shows
- We are unable to give exact numbers, but we estimate that many tens of thousands of girls, their parents and teachers were reached on the day and during the week by this campaign
International Women in Engineering Day is now an International awareness campaign to raise the profile of women in engineering and focus attention on the amazing career opportunities available to girls in this exciting industry. It takes place annually on 23 June. It's your day so get involved. In 2017 we will be celebrating INWED for the fourth year - and the first year that it has become truly international.
The sub-theme for 2017 is #MenAsAllies.
The nominations for Top 50 Women in Engineering under 35 in the Daily Telegraph have now closed but watch this space for the list announcement on 23 June 2017!
We are delighted to welcome our first sponsors for 2017
Join them in sponsoring this International Awareness Day. Find out more here.
“Before coming I didn’t really know what engineering was like, I thought it was just oil and nails!” Winchester Science Centre attendee
We are very proud to be the winners of the Association Award for Best Social Media Campaign 2015 for National Women in Engineering Day. The judges congratulated us on a 'well thought through and coordinated, multi-channel campaign with fantastic levels of engagement and impact'. Thank you!
We are also delighted to have won the WISE Award for Best Campaign for the National Women in Engineering Day campaign in 2015. Read more here.
National Women in Engineering Day (NWED) in 2015 was a huge success with a total of over 400 organisations, schools, colleges, universities, industry bodies and individual engineers all over the world uniting in the name of equality and diversity to celebrate the great achievements of women engineers and encourage more girls and women to consider engineering as a career. We reached thousands of girls on the day, and our twitter activity was seen by millions of people online.
The Prime Minister, David Cameron even tweeted about NWED via his Twitter channel @Number10gov, with the official hashtag #NWED receiving over 20,000 posts on the day and trending for around 9 hours on Twitter. Our website received 16,000 page views on the day, plus taking into account all your amazing events, activities (including a successful Guinness World Record-breaking attempt!), social media campaigns and the conference that took place on the 23rd, the success of NWED was not just international but also phenomenal. Thank you!
Read More here and have a look at our photo gallery below.
Please enter your email details below to receive our monthly e-newsletter containing news and information relating to women and diversity in engineering issues, and updates about INWED.